poof n : offensive terms for an openly homosexual man [syn: fagot, faggot, fag, fairy, nance, pansy, queen, queer, poove, pouf]
- po͝of, /pʊf/, /pUf/
- Rhymes: -ʊf
- Poof, he was gone.
A male homosexual.
The product of flatulence.
- To vanish or disappear.
- He poofed into thin air.
- To break wind; to fart.
The term poof can be used in several ways:
- Pouffe, a British English term for a large footstool or ottoman
- as a pejorative English term for a gay man, shortened form of poofter
- as in Pursuing Opportunities Outside the Firm
- In Arrested Development (TV series), the name of a magazine for magicians to which Gob subscribes
- as a slang term for flatulence
- the child of Cosmo and Wanda, on the Nickelodeon show The Fairly OddParents
- in classical music, POOF as an acronym for the now defunct Philharmonic Orchestra of Florida, later renamed the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra